Monday, February 17, 2020

Week One - Thriller Research

When this portfolio project was first assigned, I had no idea what I was going to do for it. I tried to take into consideration things that I've been through that I can relate to, and therefore make my film opening more raw or emotional, but I don't think the world's ready for that level of transparency with me yet. Maybe one day.
Yet I still find myself drawn to vulnerable, gut-wrenching genres such as romance and thrillers. Although I can't find my idea fitting solidly in either genre yet, I'm going to compile research here concerning thrillers and hopefully that'll lead me on a path to seeing my vision more clearly.

Thriller Genre Conventions


Thrillers are generally targeted towards young adults (15-21 year olds) because they're invested in the plot and enjoy feeling suspense and mystery. Movies in this genre do this by keeping the audience alert and on the edge of their seat, using editing and camera movements and techniques as well as various mise-en-scene elements, and most importantly sound to create anticipation and thrill the audience. 

Movies in the thriller genre all share key elements concerning the plot. They tend to follow certain themes of death, reality, identity, existence and purpose. The protagonist is set against a problem that they need to solve, providing action scenes, character development and multiple points of view throughout the film. The protagonist's needs, wants and fears should also be established early on to create viewer empathy/concern, making the impending danger and escalating tension in the film all the more impactful. Flashbacks can also be utilized for this same reason to give the audience insight on why characters are the way they are. Humor can be used to add tension too. 

Using suggestive camera angles, framing for emotion and showing what the characters don't see can also help reinforce anticipation in the viewers. Backlighting helps give a sense of mystery by creating silhouettes and low key lighting adds shadows that create a sinister tone, which adds fear and tension. Quick edits/camera angle changes during significant scenes also accomplish this. When it comes to sound, music is important; it can be eerie, create high tension or be silent. Silence can be especially effective at thrilling the audience. Mise-en-scene is also important to emphasize the theme of the film, for example using popular thriller colors such as red, black, dark blues and purples.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection Essay

Saving Herald is a teenage alternative-pop band based in Broward, Florida. They're well known around South Florida and have gained popul...