Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Week Six - Representation

There are a lot of ways that I could go about representation in this project. At first I'd wanted the couple to be straight, but as I continued molding my ideas into something useable I began to think of the characters as an lgbt+ couple. Overall it depends on who I'm using as actors, but most likely the couple will be two gals, as half of my friends are- and I'm fine with adapting. 



The friends that I'd reached out to about being an actor in my portfolio project are feminine and people of color; they're each respectively black, Korean and Puerto Rican. I didn't plan this, because before I'd thought to ask them for help I imagined the couple as two white people. I think this is because of the light color scheme that I had in mind, which in my head was associated with paler skin tones as well. 


Over time representation in the media's gotten better, but of course there's still more work to do to get rid of stereotypes and societal norms placed long before my time- and as you can see and probably already know, women and people in minority groups are represented less in the film industry. As someone in one of those minority groups, I'm glad to have actors among other minorities to represent in my project. 


I would have also liked to represent an older audience, but that's out of the premise of my film and it would be unnecessary and much more difficult to accomplish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection Essay

Saving Herald is a teenage alternative-pop band based in Broward, Florida. They're well known around South Florida and have gained popul...