Monday, March 22, 2021

Frustrations

Saving Herald hasn't been as enthusiastic about helping us with the project as they are about performing for the video. It's been really stressful.

We noticed this early on when Madisyn said she'd help me with making the vinyl cover and it took about three days of asking/pushing for her to send me any inspiration, or ideas that she had for the cover. Since then, even the crew (Angelo, Rodrigo, and Isa, who at this point won't be able to help us film due to visiting family for spring break) started noticing how dry the band has been; not answering our messages, saying they'll send us stuff for inspirations or ideas, or things like info for their Twitter so that we can remodel it for the project, and then barely pulling through for us. It's gotten really tiring because we need to depend on their input for certain things, but we keep coming up empty. It's pushed us back on our schedule quite a bit.

Dean and I are still pretty much stuck when it comes to what the story aspect should be. The band wants us to do something that isn't your traditional storyline. They want randomness and chaos, in an artistic way of course. But that isn't as easy as it sounds, especially when they aren't giving us any ideas about what these clips should be. To try to get a better grasp on a good storyline, or anything else we could incorporate that would inspire us to come up with cool ideas that link to their band, I've been pushing them to send me audio messages about their individual experiences with mental health struggles. This is because they pointed out that Breathe is about mental health, although they don't want that to be too heavy a topic in the music video nor cliche in some way.

I found out that Maxx wrote the song lyrics, so I asked if he could give me some insight into his own experiences. No audio messages were sent to me despite my asking, multiple times, as well as in the group chat to the whole band. I ended up calling him, and unfortunately, he told me that there wasn't any profound experience that led him to write Breathe. It just came to him naturally and sounded good. To be fair, I do understand where he's coming from. I write poetry sometimes and have had moments such as these, as rare as they are. However, that doesn't coddle my disappointment. 

Dean and I need to come up with a cool concept for our storyline, ASAP. I don't know where to turn for ideas. I'm thinking of talking to friends of mine about the situation and see what kind of input or advice they could give. I would talk to my Aice Media teacher, but it's spring break, and I have no sure way to contact her and get her sage advice. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection Essay

Saving Herald is a teenage alternative-pop band based in Broward, Florida. They're well known around South Florida and have gained popul...